Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Seasoned Steak Ragout





I wanted to share with you this quick, easy, delicious, and healthy meal that Hubby and I cooked tonight (well I cooked and he ate) It is from Eat Healthy, Lose Weight from Better Homes and Gardens. 

The cookbook is full of quick and easy meals, we primarily used this cookbook to create our healthy meal plan for the month.

This was a quick recipe that was prepped and cooked in under 30 minutes.The recipe was so simple even my hubby can make it.  I was full after one bowl, Hubby thought it was good but tasted like a healthy version of  franks and beans. It made about 4 servings.

Seasoned Steak Ragout 

  • 2 tsp Olive Oil 
  • 12 oz packaged beef stir-fry strips
  • 1 16 oz package frozen (yellow, green, and red) peppers and onion stir-fry vegetables
  • 1 15 oz can cannellini beans (white kidney beans) rinsed and drained
  • 1 1/2 cups roasted garlic and herb pasta sauce (or your favorite flavor)
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 2 cups fresh baby spinach
  1. In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat, add beef strips and cook 3-4 minutes until done. 
  2. Add remaining ingredients except spinach and heat through. 
  3. Add spinach, stir and serve. 
Nutrition Information per 1 1/4 cup serving
Calories 273, Fat 7gm, Cholesterol 52mg, Protein 27gm, Carb 30gm, Fiber 7 gm, Sodium 601mg 

That is the original recipe, here is what I did. 
  • The meat at the store looked very fatty so I cut up a thin 12 oz  steak that was on sale. 
  • I couldn't find the sitr-fry vegetables so I just used frozen peppers, You could easily use fresh it just takes a few minutes to slice and prep the peppers. 
  • I don't know if I used cannellini beans, all I could find was something labeled "white beans" that looked like small kidney beans. 
  • I omitted the water since I wanted something thicker. 
  • I omitted the spinach since I don't like cooked spinach and we already had a nice side salad made. 
I thought this was really good, next time I might add another can of beans to add some extra fiber in the meal. Beans are a great source of protein and complex carbs which helps regulate insulin and energy levels. They also help you feel full longer so you eat less. Some chopped tomatoes might also be good mixed in. 

Definitely a keeper! 




No comments:

Post a Comment