Friday, January 4, 2013

Healthy Cocoa Protein Truffles

In my search for better nutrition and healthy snacks I cam across this recipe from Sweet Lavender Bake Shoppe and thought I should give it a try. I did make a few modifications since I can never leave well enough alone.

Healthy Cocoa Protein Truffles  










  • 4 tsp cocoa powder plus extra to coat finish truffles (about 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 tablespoon low fat Greek yogurt (I bet any yogurt would work though
  • 5 tablespoons chocolate or vanilla protein powder (I used vanilla
  • 2 egg yolks (to cut down calories, egg yolks have 80 calories each, I just used 1 whole egg. I also didn't want to left over egg parts in my fridge) 
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted. (do not substitute you need this to help the truffles firm up)
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar (you could also use honey)

  1. Melt the butter in a small bowl then add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. 
  2. Cover  the top of the mixture with plastic wrap so it doesn't form a skin and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. I left mine over night. 
  3. Roll into 1 inch balls and roll in cocoa powder. Enjoy! Store remaining truffles in a sealed container in the fridge. 


Counting what I ate while making these I would save it makes about 10, 1 inch truffles.

Nutrition Information: this greatly depends on what brands you use but here is an proximate calculation. 
Serving size 2 truffles, 90 calories, Fat 4 gm, Protein 11 gm. This is also packed with several vitamins  iron, and calcium but those totals also depend on the brands you use so I have not included them. 

Now before you go crazy about the amount of calories and fat remember I used low fat yogurt because it is what I had on hand. You can reduce the fat by using non fat yogurt. You can reduce the calories by using plain (unflavored/unsweetened protein powder). You might even be able to substitute the butter with cream cheese. This is also meant as a treat to provide extra protein and not a meal. While this is good it is also rich so 2 truffles should be plenty. 

Now lets talk about the calories. One of the things I like is that this uses agave nectar (or honey) instead of sugar. Agave is low on the glycemic index (GI) rating, which means it won't cause a spike in your blood sugar levels the way sugar does. High-GI foods like white sugar tend to make us feel hungry sooner since they are digested quickly. So foods made with agave nectar may keep you feeling fuller longer than foods made with the white stuff, which translates to eating less.  Interestingly Agave  has a very low glycemic index, ranging between 10 and 19, while the glycemic index of honey is also low, ranging between 35 and 58. 

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/435109-is-agave-healthier-than-honey/#ixzz2H2xZguHj

Notes from Jule:
  • My dough was a bit soft so I think I would add an extra tablespoon of protein powder next time.
  • I thought these tasted better after sitting overnight than after just 30 minutes. 
  • Because there are raw eggs I would not double the batch. If you want to avoid the use of raw eggs I bet you could use more yogurt, water, or apple sauce. Just add about a tablespoon to make up for the egg. This will also help reduce the calories but will also reduce the protein content.  
  • If you want vanilla or another flavor just substitute the cocoa with flavored protein powder or try with flavored yogurt. 
  • Roll in crushed nuts or mix the nuts in the dough to provide more texture. 
  • Add ground flax seeds for added fiber.
  • Use natural peanut or almond butter in place of the yogurt. 
  • Add ground oatmeal to replace some protein powder.  
  • The possibilities of the recipe are endless, in fact just Google protein truffles and you will come up with a ton of variations. 

Please share your variations and ideas 
in the comments section below. 




5 comments:

  1. SMH... I just commented on your other post.
    How can you write a blog about getting healthy and eating candy at the same time?
    SHouldn't you be putting up a great egg white, feta and spinache omelette recipe?
    Love, Big Brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dearest Big Brother, did you bother to read the post? If you did than you may have noticed that they have only 90 calories and pack 10 grams of protein. You would also have seen the information about Agave and how it is used to satisfy sweet cravings, increase energy, and control insulin release which can lead to weight loss. What I didn't mention in the blog was that the cocoa, yogurt, and agave are all recommended foods to add to your diet for weight loss. This recipe is meant to be a treat, something healthy to help satisfy cravings for chocolate, it is an alternative to giving in and eating a handful of M n M's.

      Delete
    2. The calories to protein ratio is decent; 9-1. What isn't good is the density of the calories in such a small food and one that would be difficult to eat just one of. I could easily eat 500 calories of it before I even notice being full. If I'm trying to lose fat I usually need to reduce my calories to about 2000 a day. Dense calories like truffles, candy, creamy sauces or soups, cheese, butter, honey are things I try to keep away from my reach. I've been trying to stay away from protein drinks and other processed dietary supplements and be more natural. Plain Oatmeal with blueberries, lean meat, vegetables and fruits in general and whole grain snacks are less dense calories and fill you up. So there. I'm going to the gym in the hopes that I can get rid of this weight that started at your thanksgiving dinner and ended with your New Years Eve party. The rib eye and shake from Thursday with Chris doesn't count.

      Delete
    3. Actually these were so rich that after eating 2 and drinking a big glass of water I was done. It was more than enough to satisfy my chocolate craving. The thought of eating 5 of these (500 calories) in one sitting is just too much. The rest of your post I highly agree with as a diet plan. The foods you listed are great. Remember this as a treat, not something you make a meal of and/or eat every day.

      Delete
  2. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. healthy energy drink

    ReplyDelete